St Columba's Catholic Primary School

Saints United

2018 Winter Hockey Information

Purpose: The Hamilton Catholic Schools Sports Club, Saints United continues to grow.  After 2014 saw the inaugural year of Saints United Hockey, 2015 saw the formalisation of other sports including netball, cricket, basketball and lacrosse. 

Combining together has brought together more players which has ensured all those that want to play a particular sport has the ability to do so and allowed selections to be held to get each player playing in the most appropriate grade for their ability.

·        The focus is our Catholic Schools year 7 and 8 students. 

·        Students attending other small schools that cannot provide hockey will also be allowed to play, this fits with our inclusive ethos.

·        Year 6 Catholic school students will be used to ensure we achieve ideal playing numbers.  Year 6 players interested in playing in the intermediate competitions will be able to attend and take part in the trials.  Only the required number of year 6’s required to make up the teams will be selected.  A few extra may be named that can be called upon to fill in if required.

Any student attending the trial/selection will be able to be selected in any team. 

Teams: Waikato Hockey offers competitions for both 11 aside and 6 aside modules for intermediate aged students.  There may be a need to arrange a grade on a Thursday evening.

Coaches/Managers: These teams can only participate if we can provide a Coach and a Manager for each team. Please let us know, if you or someone you know is able to coach a team. As we increase in playing numbers every year, so does the need for more help.

Umpires: Each team also requires an umpire.  If a parent or sibling from each team cannot be found to umpire, then each parent maybe asked to make a donation towards paying for an umpire.  Usually $10 -$15 a game.

Trials: 1stTrial: Sunday 11th March 3.00-5.30pm*

@ Sacred Heart Turf.

(*first 30 min will be to provide information on the trials)

2ndTrial: Monday 19th March 4.00pm – 5.30pm

@ St John’s Turf

Pre-Season Practices: Monday’s 26/3, 30/3, 9/4

Pre-Season practices will be at St John’s Turf, Hillcrest Road, Hamilton.

Competition commences Friday 11th May

Matamata now has a full size turf with lights so there may be a requirement to travel to Matamata to play.    Games will be held on Friday of Queens Birthday weekend and the last Friday of Term Two.

6 aside   $100.00                 11 aside:                $145.00

Playing strip will be:

Saints United Hockey top (provided)

Black PE Shorts (to be supplied by player)

Long Black Socks (to be supplied by player)

Training / Practises

Practices are dependent on the availability of coaches and practice venues. 

We hope to provide two practice sessions each week and were able to secure both Monday and Wednesday afternoons – 4.00-5.30pm at St Johns College the last year (we are lucky that we are able to use at no cost but have to fit around their requirements).   This may change this year.

The respective team coach has final say over where and when practices will be held.

Any further questions or queries email Jardine McIntyre